Friday, September 26, 2014

Learning To Be Content in the State Im In! :)

I know that it has been a long time since I have written a blog.  I don't know why I operate the way I do, but I only write these when I get an inspiration to do so.  And wow, do I get inspiration at the weirdest times and in the weirdest places! :)   For some reason, out of the blue, this random thought ran across my mind today… Am I content?

Content is defined as a state of satisfaction, or being in a state of peaceful happiness.  Now I know that we all know that being happy comes and goes.  That having the joy of the Lord is what is really important.  But being content is something that we all strive for.   Contentment doesn't necessarily come from a financial place, it often comes as a product of having a moment of realization that your life is exactly where it should be.

There are many things that life can bring to try and take us out of a state of contentment.  The biggest of these is one of the oldest tricks in the book…and boy does the enemy know how to use it to his advantage.   It's getting us to look and see what others have and compare our lives to theirs.      We have all been guilty of doing this and honestly, I can not tell you a time that this way of thinking has ever benefited me!

I always feel like if I am going to say things to people, it's only fair that I use myself as an example…so here goes!    I remember when I was in the beginning years of my marriage.  We were excited about having kids but had suffered miscarriages.  I remember the feelings of frustration when I would hear people saying things like "we didn't even try and now we are pregnant again!" or when I would hear of ladies having babies and giving them up for adoption or contemplating abortion...I would want to scream to the heavens WHY????   Here I am wanting a child and these people don't!!  I would have to squash the feeling that something was wrong with me, that somehow I was being punished for something.   And then God blessed me with my son.   I suffered another miscarriage after he was born, but there was something about having him that made me OK.  I had been given a great gift and even though I would have been happy to have had more, I wasn't going to waste one minute that God had given me with the child I had.

Flash forward to the present.  I have found myself in a place that I never thought I would be..single.   I have had those moments again when I see people posting pictures of the flowers that their husbands got them "just because", or when I see the Happy Anniversary pictures, when I spend yet another Friday night at home alone hahahaha…now I sound like a bad country song! :)   There are moments I can't help but ask God why?   What now?  Why me?  But then I take my focus off of what everyone else has that I don't and I look at what God has given me.   I have a wonderful, supportive family that has been there for me in more ways than I could ever share.  I have a wonderful job at a church that I love - getting to do what I love.   I have good friends that are there for me and make me laugh and more than that, I am watching my son grow into a young man of God.  He is healthy, happy and awesome.  He is growing up way too fast and I am cherishing each and every moment that I have with him.   

So life isn't all roses every moment - when is it ever?   I know that regardless of my circumstances, I have a Savior who loves me and longs to give me the greatest life.   The older I get, the know I understand what is really valuable in my life.   Sure I would love to be more financially secure, I would love to be able to go back and do some things different,  I would love to know if I was going to be alone the rest of my life.   But you can drive yourself crazy trying to find answers to questions when its not time.  And more than that..by always looking and focusing on what is not…you miss what is!   I am going to cherish these next few years with my son because it won't be long until he moves on to the next phase of his life.  I am going to take advantage of the people that God has surrounded me with in this moment.   I am going to see each day as an opportunity to appreciate where I am and make my now the best that it can be.   Because I am confident while I am in this time,  God has already prepared what is next.

What are you struggling with?   What do you lack that you see in other people and envy it?  Has the enemy constantly reminded you of what you don't have or who you are not and you have bought into the constant lie that he speaks to you?   Take a step back and focus on the following scriptures knowing that He who began a good work in you IS faithful to complete it!   God didn't forget you or fail to remember His promises to you!! When you learn to be happy with who and where you are, you gain a healthy and positive outlook on life.   Good times and bad times will come - but they will not define you!   Learning to be content in whatever state you are in, will grow you.    The real secret to a successful life is learning that whether you have or have not, God is God.  He will see you through, trials only last for a season and most importantly,  He has a plan for each one of us and He will give us what we need to see us through!


Philippians 4:11-13New International Version (NIV)

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

With you in this thing called life! :)
April Phipps

No comments:

Post a Comment